Is it possible to make really crispy chicken wings in an air fryer? Well, today we’re going to try to find out, so follow along and let’s turn up the tasty!
Crispy Chicken Wings
Chicken wings are (obviously) not red meat. But we LOVE cooking chicken wings. I’m going to try to cook crispy chicken wings in our OMMO air fryer. For this experiment, I used the whole chicken wing because they are a little easier to flip. However, you can separate the wings into flats & drummies. Check out this EASY tutorial on how to cut whole chicken wings.
I seasoned the chicken wings with our very own JoJo Rub. It’s a simple rub we created using common ingredients from our kitchen… and you can probably find them in yours, too! I also added chicken salt to today’s rub. We got this from our friend Chef Mike Johnson, the owner of Sugarfire Smokehouse (find the nearest restaurant location). We visited him for our Meat America Travel Cooking Show. Make sure that the chicken wings are thoroughly and evenly coated with the JoJo Rub & the chicken salt!
- Trim the tips off of the chicken wings (save them for stock!).
- Season the wings with your favorite dry rub. Make sure there are no naked spots!
- Place the wings on the air fryer rack, make sure that they are not overlapping. If you are making A LOT of wings, you may need to air fry them in batches.
- Place the rack in the middle of the air fryer.
- Set the temperature to 380 degrees Fahrenheit or the “chicken” setting if your air fryer has one.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Flip them wings. Cook for another 10 minutes. Flip them wings, AGAIN. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Total cook time should be around 30 minutes or until the chicken wings reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let the wings cool for about 5 minutes.
For the Love of Chicken Wings
I’m really impressed with these crispy air fried chicken wings! Even though it took 30 minutes to cook, they are not dried out at all and are very juicy on the interior. I think we could have cooked them for another 10 minutes for even crispier chicken wings.
Compared to cooking wings in the oven or on the grill, the cook time is cut in half and they are still just as tasty. And compared to deep fried wings….forget about it! Easier clean up and healthier. It’s a win win type of situation. Here’s proof.
How do you guys like to cook chicken wings? Let us know in the comments below. While you’re at it, please subscribe to our YouTube Channel so you never miss a tasty recipe!