In this Meat America episode, we visit Conway’s Good Eats Deli in Maryville, Illinois to learn a homemade pastrami recipe from a true expert. Lee Conway has been a professional chef for more than three decades. He shares his pastrami recipe so you can learn how to turn up the tasty right at home! This from scratch pastrami recipe is incredibly delicious. But Lee goes to the next level showing us how to build a FRESH Reuben Pastrami Sandwich. Now follow along and let’s…. Meat America!
Conway’s Deli Fresh Pastrami
- Use a full choice brisket and trim to remove the connective tissues and hard fat.
- Make the brine: 1 gallon of water, 1.5 cups of salt, 1 cup of white sugar, .5 cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of pickling spice, .25 cup of honey, .25 cup of instant cure (pink salt and sodium nitrate), 5 cloves of garlic.
- Mix these ingredients together and bring the brine to a boil.
- Remove from the stove a refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Inject the brisket with the brine.
- Submerge the brisket in the brine, cover, and refrigerate for 3 to 5 days.
- Remove the brisket from the brine and rinse.
- Season the brisket with coriander and black pepper.
- Heat your smoker with cherry woof to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Smoke the brisket for 3 hours.
- Place the brisket in a steam pan then wrap with plastic wrap and foil.
- Roast in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for an additional 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice your homemade pastrami and pile it high on bread with other fixings to create the ultimate reuben sandwich.
Tip from Chef Lee Conway
- Your food has to look good, but it has to taste even better.
- Remember: Use high quality ingredients and patience to turn up that yum factor. Have faith, life is good!
For more information about Conway’s Deli, visit their website!
Meat America is your guide to explore the methods and recipes for cooking meat in restaurants across America. In each episode, our host, Joey Brisket, will showcase experts – on location and in their restaurant kitchens- to educate, inspire, and entertain our hungry viewers! Follow the Meat America Podcast & Travel Cooking Show across the entire interwebs at MeatAmericaTV.com