In this Meat America episode, we travel to Louisville to visit Agave & Rye. We learn about this TASTY Whiskey & Coke Braised Short Ribs Recipe! We’ll learn how to make spoon tender braised short ribs and then use it for some truly EPIC tacos. This isn’t your Nonna’s braised short ribs recipe because we’re turning up the tasty with that Kentucky Whiskey and coke!
Short Rib Taco Recipe
- First, begin with a boneless beef shortrib of beef cheeks
- Season with a 50/50 blend of kosher salt and black pepper
- Get your skillet pipping hot and add enough cooking oil to coat the surface
- Sear the ribs to a golden brown color on all sides, beginning with the fat side
- Then, while the short ribs are searing, get a separate pan and line with a mirepoix, using at 2/1/1 ratio of onion to carrots to celery
- Next, add rosemary, thyme and garlic to the mirepoix
- Remove the browned meat and place in the pan above the vegetables
- Pour the remaining oil in the pan over the short ribs
- Deglaze the pan with whiskey (make sure the pan is removed from the flame)
- Then, pour the heated whiskey in the pan with the other ingredients
- Add a mixture of coca cola, tomato paste and beef stock to the pan
- Wrap the top of the pan with plastic wrap and foil
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and place in the oven for 3 to 4 hours
- Peirce the short ribs with a butter knife to know if they are done.
- Remove the ribs from the sauce and shred
- Lastly, enjoy your delicious short rib tacos!
Tips from Chef Rob
- Mirepoix is a flavor base which consists of a ratio of 25% carrots, 25% celery and 50% onions.
- Mirepoix is used in a wide variety of tasty stocks, soups and sauces.
To learn more about their epic tacos visit Agave & Rye here.
Meat America is your guide to explore the methods and recipes for cooking meat in restaurants across America. In each episode, our host, Joey Brisket, will showcase experts – on location and in their restaurant kitchens- to educate, inspire, and entertain our hungry viewers! Follow the Meat America Podcast & Travel Cooking Show across the entire interwebs at MeatAmericaTV.com