CRISPY OVEN BAKED WHOLE CHICKEN WINGS
Learn to bake CRISPY whole CHICKEN WINGS in the oven with this EASY recipe video…because you don’t need a fryer to make a crispy chicken wings!
HEALTHY OVEN BAKED CHICKEN WINGS
Let’s put an end to the old debate –survey says 54 % of people prefer the drumette but only 25% prefer the flat. So that settles that. Interestingly, the other 21% love wings so much they don’t care which part they get…just gimme dem wings!
And wings are so popular, Americans consume over 100 million pounds of wings on Superbowl Sunday alone!
But since people are consuming more chicken wings than ever before, it’s important that we try to make them healthier than ever before. While frying does result in a crispy and crunchy exterior, frying also adds a lot of calories. Baking chicken wings isn’t as popular because it normally results in wet skin…..trust me, I’ve tried and failed many times before I learned the secret to making super crispy wings in the oven.
This chicken wing recipe is so EASY because it requires so few ingredients, and so few steps.
- 4lbs whole wings…. you can cook them as whole chicken wings or pre-cut drumettes and flats. I use whole wings but remove the wing-tip which I reserve for chicken stock.
- .5 tbsp flour
- 3 to 4 tbsp JoJo Rub – easy rub made from simple spices found in most kitchens, found here. If you don’t have the ingredients or prefer a different flavor, there’s no “rules” herre – season em like you like em.
- 1.5 tbsp baking powder – The real key to crispy oven baked chicken is using baking powder to give it a crucnchityy, crispity skin. The baking powder changes the ph balance of the skin to make it super crispy….or something like that. Look, It’s science, OK. And, if you don’t believe me, just look it up on your google machine.
- Mix the flour, JoJo Rub and baking powder in a bowl – set aside
EASY CHICKEN WINGS RECIPE
- Heat oven to 250 degrees
- Foil lined pans with racks. Don’t put on foil.
- Dry the chicken wings as much as possible with a paper towel(s).
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture over wings and mix wings to coat all sides
- Place seasoned wings on top of rack
Now this is where it get’s dangerous ya’ll. Place the wings in the pre-heated (250F) oven and let it cook for 30 minutes. This low temperature will help render the fat from the wing. However, after 30 minutes at 250F, turn up the temp to 425F.
HOW LONG TO BAKE CHICKEN WINGS AT 425 F
Once you turn up the temperature to 425F you will need to cook the chicken wings an additional 40-45 min to get them crispy. Not all ovens cook at the same temp so modify your oven temperature a few degrees up or down if needed.
It’s an easy chicken wing recipe but it ain’t fast. So while your wings are cooking you can indulge in your unhealthy drinking habit, check your fantasy sports teams or, my favorite…..search conspiracy theories online! Or whatever you do to kill the time….
BAKED CHICKEN WINGS VIDEO
These wings aren’t exactly a replacement for fried chicken wings but they’re pretty close. They are crispy and crunchy and the seasoning gives it a great flavor. You can serve them just like this or coated in your favorite sauce. I’d be proud to serve these tasty treats anytime and you should too! And remember, there’s a lot of division in the world today….some are right wing, others are left wing….but I’m team chicken wing all day long.