CRISPY OVEN BAKED WHOLE CHICKEN WINGS
Learn to bake CRISPY whole CHICKEN WINGS in the oven with this EASY recipe video…because you don’t need a fryer to make a crispy chicken wings!
- Hey everybody I'm Joey and today we're baking crispy chicken wings in the oven. These wings are so tasty, you'll be the big game MVP. So follow me, and let's get baked. Let's put an end to the old debate right now. Survey says 54% of people prefer the drumettes, while only 25% of people prefer the flat. So that settles that. But interestingly enough, 21% of people love wings so much, they don't care which piece they get. Just gimme them wings, man. And do you know, that wings are so popular, that Americans consume over 100 million pounds of wings on Superbowl Sunday alone? That's a lot of wings man. But, enough with the facts. Let's get to the goods. Today we're making chicken wings, so yes we're gonna need some wings. Here I have four pounds which have been pre trimmed to remove the wing tips. Which I just reserve for soup. You can trim 'em, not trim 'em, buy 'em pre cut. I don't even curr. Because they're gonna turn out great no matter what you do with'em. Next, you wanna preheat the oven to 250 degrees and get that warming up while we get ready to season these. Also, one more tip. You wanna go ahead and prepare your baking pans right now. As you can see I have these baking racks on top. We do not want to put the wings directly on the foil. So let's get seasoning. Okay, to season these, the first thing we're gonna need is just a little bit of flour. I have a half a tablespoon here. Next we're gonna need some JoJo rub. This is three and a half tablespoons of the simple rub, we created ourselves, from using common ingredients found in most kitchens. It's really easy to make, but you can also substitute it with whatever seasoning you like. And finally we're gonna need 1 1/2 tablespoons of baking powder. Not baking soda. And this is the real key to getting the chicken skin with that crispity, crunchity exterior. What this does, is it actually changes the pH balance of the chicken skin as it cooks. Or something like that. Look I don't really know, but I know that it works. And it's science man, so if you don't believe me, go check it out on your Google machine. But we're gonna want to mix all these together and just liberally coat these wings right before we put 'em in the oven. Let's get going. Okay, so now let's get this mixture on the wings. What we wanna do is just try to thoroughly coat them as best as we can. Dust a little bit on top. Then you can really use your hand. Or you can use a fork or whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm gonna use my hand. I'm gonna use all this seasoning here today. So let's just go ahead and get these mixed up. And, continue the process until we get it thoroughly coated on all sides. We want these seasoned liberally as well. So now that I've had these wings thoroughly coated three or four times I've mixed them up. Fully seasoned, let's just go ahead and get 'em on the rack. Yeah, you wanna make sure that these are spaced out enough to make sure that they're not quite touching each other. Let the air circulate around them as they cook. And I can't get them all on one pan, so I actually have two set up here. I'd rather use two, than try to put too many on one rack. Alright, now that these wings are seasoned it's time to get 'em in the oven. As I said, we're gonna put them in at 250 degrees. And this low temperature is gonna help render some of the fat from the wings as they cook. We're gonna leave them in there for about 30 minutes. And after 30 minutes, we're gonna turn up the temperature to 425 degrees and this is where the wings are gonna get really crispy. We're gonna leave them in there for about another 40 to 45 minutes. Look, it's an easy recipe, but it ain't fast. While your wings are cooking you can indulge in your own healthy drinking habits, watch the big game on TV, or my favorite, search for conspiracy theories online. Alright, these wings took about an hour and 10 minutes total cooking. As I said earlier it's not fast, but it's totally worth it. And they smell absolutely amazing. So you can make these plain as I've made them or coat them in your favorite sauce. They're gonna taste absolutely great. I'd be proud to serve these anytime and you should too. Our motto at red meat lover is cooking meat made easy and that's just what we strive to show you in every single video. If you liked this video, please gives us a thumbs up like, right below or leave your comments. Even better, subscribe, to our YouTube channel for future updates. We release a new video every single month. And there's a lot of division in the world today, some people are a left wing others are a right wing. But I'm team chicken wing all day. We'll see you next time. Mm, so crunchy.
HEALTHY OVEN BAKED CHICKEN WINGS
Let’s put an end to the old debate –survey says 54 % of people prefer the drumette but only 25% prefer the flat. So that settles that. Interestingly, the other 21% love wings so much they don’t care which part they get…just gimme dem wings!
And wings are so popular, Americans consume over 100 million pounds of wings on Superbowl Sunday alone!
But since people are consuming more chicken wings than ever before, it’s important that we try to make them healthier than ever before. While frying does result in a crispy and crunchy exterior, frying also adds a lot of calories. Baking chicken wings isn’t as popular because it normally results in wet skin…..trust me, I’ve tried and failed many times before I learned the secret to making super crispy wings in the oven.
This chicken wing recipe is so EASY because it requires so few ingredients, and so few steps.
- 4lbs whole wings…. you can cook them as whole chicken wings or pre-cut drumettes and flats. I use whole wings but remove the wing-tip which I reserve for chicken stock.
- .5 tbsp flour
- 3 to 4 tbsp JoJo Rub – easy rub made from simple spices found in most kitchens, found here. If you don’t have the ingredients or prefer a different flavor, there’s no “rules” herre – season em like you like em.
- 1.5 tbsp baking powder – The real key to crispy oven baked chicken is using baking powder to give it a crucnchityy, crispity skin. The baking powder changes the ph balance of the skin to make it super crispy….or something like that. Look, It’s science, OK. And, if you don’t believe me, just look it up on your google machine.
- Mix the flour, JoJo Rub and baking powder in a bowl – set aside
EASY CHICKEN WINGS RECIPE
- Heat oven to 250 degrees
- Foil lined pans with racks. Don’t put on foil.
- Dry the chicken wings as much as possible with a paper towel(s).
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture over wings and mix wings to coat all sides
- Place seasoned wings on top of rack
Now this is where it get’s dangerous ya’ll. Place the wings in the pre-heated (250F) oven and let it cook for 30 minutes. This low temperature will help render the fat from the wing. However, after 30 minutes at 250F, turn up the temp to 425F.
HOW LONG TO BAKE CHICKEN WINGS AT 425 F
Once you turn up the temperature to 425F you will need to cook the chicken wings an additional 40-45 min to get them crispy. Not all ovens cook at the same temp so modify your oven temperature a few degrees up or down if needed.
It’s an easy chicken wing recipe but it ain’t fast. So while your wings are cooking you can indulge in your unhealthy drinking habit, check your fantasy sports teams or, my favorite…..search conspiracy theories online! Or whatever you do to kill the time….
BAKED CHICKEN WINGS VIDEO
These wings aren’t exactly a replacement for fried chicken wings but they’re pretty close. They are crispy and crunchy and the seasoning gives it a great flavor. You can serve them just like this or coated in your favorite sauce. I’d be proud to serve these tasty treats anytime and you should too! And remember, there’s a lot of division in the world today….some are right wing, others are left wing….but I’m team chicken wing all day long.