Have you ever tried to bake chicken wings at home in the oven? Typically, they come out with soft and mushy skin. And that is no bueno! We’re going to try a couple different methods to see which one produces the crispiest baked chicken wings.
In order to make the perfect crispy baked chicken wings, we did some experimenting. We found out that using baking powder changes the pH balance of the skin helps create some really crispy chicken wings. We’re going to contrast that against the same method without the baking powder. Along with those two methods, we’re going to try another method – we’re going to parboil the chicken wings.
Method One – JoJo Rub + Baking Powder
- We added about one half tablespoon of baking powder to the dry rub. The ratio will depend on how much chicken wings you are making!
- We started these wings in the oven at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. This process helps render any fat.
- After 30 minutes, crank up the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for another 40-45 minutes.
Method Two – JoJo Rub
- These wings are cooked exactly the same as method one! We like to keep it simple around here…
Method Three – Parboiled Chicken Wings
- We boiled the wings for 5 to 7 minutes and they will join the dry rub chicken wings during the cooking process.
- Remove the chicken wings and dry with a paper towel.
- Coat thoughouly with JoJo Rub or your favorite chicken dry rub.
- Throw these wings in the oven with the other test subjects at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes.
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
We took the guess work out of deciding which method created the best baked chicken wings by taste testing them. Someone’s gotta do the dirty work, right?! Here are the results.
Method One: This created a great tasting wing! You can really taste the seasoning which adds a nice depth of flavor. These wings had crispy skins and were super juicy.
Method Two: A little leathery and a bit of a “pull” to each bite. These wings also seemed a bit dry and not as tasty as the method one chicken wings.
Method Three: Crispier skin and no “pull” compared to method two. These wings had some great flavor! A close second to the JoJo Rub + Baking Powder chicken wings.
Well, the results speak for themselves! How do you make crispy baked chicken wings at home?! A simple homemade dry rub and baking powder! If you tried this experiment at home, let us know in the comments below! Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more experiments to help you turn up the tasty in your kitchen!