ONE OF THE BEST MEATLOAF RECIPES
Today, we’re sharing a traditional meatloaf recipe with a TWIST. Seriously, this is one of the best meatloaf recipes you’ve every tried. Simply put, if you’ve never had smoked meatloaf, you’re missing out. Once you try this new twist on an old favorite, you won’t be able to go back to making meatloaf in the oven. The smoke really helps carmelize the exterior of the meat and adds a whole new flavor profile.
SMOKED MEATLOAF RECIPE ON A WEBER GRILL
We are making meatloaf so you’re gonna need some meat, DUH! Once you have the meat, there’s so much you can do with it to add a flavor profile that you’ll enjoy. I’ve provided a recipe below that I used but it’s not gospel. There’s a ton of great meatloaf recipes out there so go with what works for you….try some new things. Use the recipe your granny gave you. Also, we would love your tips and tricks in the comments below….share your great ideas with our community of Red Meat Lovers!
To make this recipe, we used the meatloaf recipe below. Don’t be shy to be creative…add or remove flavors and ingredients as you prefer, experiment! It’s the best way to get good at cooking. We used the following ingredients:
- 2lbs ground beef – nothing too lean, I use 80/20 fat content
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs – I use Italian seasoned bread crumbs for additional flavor
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1/2 TBSP Pepper
- 2 TSP chopped garlic
- 1 TSP paprika
- 1/2 cup red pepper
- 2 TBSP chopped red onion
- 2 TBSP worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 TBSP worcestershire sauce
- I did not use it in the video, but can add 3 tbsp mustard as well
- Mix all the meatloaf ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl from the meat, mix together ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Place saran wrap inside a loaf shaped pan.
- Place and pack meat inside loaf pan.
- Refrigerate for minimum 20 minutes.
- Rub a little oil on top of a cutting board. Place loaf pan upside down onto board. The oil will help it slide easily off the board onto the grill
- Remove saran wrap.
- Cover the meatloaf with sauce and transfer to the grill.
HOW TO SMOKE MEAT ON A WEBER GRILL
I use a Weber kettle grill for most of my grilling and smoking. The Weber is both practical AND durable, tried and true.
In order to smoke on a Weber grill, you’ll need to cook the meatloaf over indirect heat. This is accomplished by building a fire only on one side of the grill, leaving the remaining half the grill (two thirds is ideal) with no fire under it. Before you can start cooking, get your fire started.
Once you have the fire going, you’ll want to create smoke using wood chunks or chips. In this meatloaf recipe video, we’re using apple wood as it imparts a really light and smooth flavor. I generally prefer fruit woods – apple, peach, grape, etc but use whatever you like.
Once the Weber grill is heated to a temperature of 225 – 275 degrees Farenheit (I prefer 250F), place the meat on the grill. Remember, the meatloaf gets placed on the side with no direct heat under it – ie, opposite the fire.
Tip: Before you start the fire, you can place a drip pan on the opposite side to catch the drippings as the meatloaf cooks. It’s not necessary but will make for an easier cleanup.
TIME TO EAT!
Once the meatloaf reaches an internal temp of 160, remove it from the grill. Total cooking time should be 1 – 1.5 hours / lb. The result is a deep smokey flavor unlike anything granny made in the oven
And remember, meatloaf is just hamburger cake with ketchup frosting. Enjoy your meat cake my friends.