I used to mess up cooking tacos a lot. Like, A LOT! Until I visited Chef Kevin Morrison for our Meat America program. Chef Kevin’s tacos at Tacos, Tequila, and Whiskey in Denver, Colorado have been rated some of the very best in the entire country. I’m using that as inspiration for today’s cook.
How to Make Flank Steak Tacos
- Flank steak (~2 lbs). You could also use skirt steaks, but flank steaks are a little easier to find.
- Red Mole sauce – homemade or store bought.
- Butter (melted)
- Corn Tortillas
- Toppings of choice. We used fresh cilantro, avocado, lime, jalapenos and radishes.
- Trim the silver skin and any excess fat off of the flank steak. Check out this post to learn how to trim fat!
- Put the trimmed steak into a ziplock bag with half of the mole sauce and let marinate overnight.
- Once the steak is marinated, it’s time to cook!
- Grill the flank steak to your preferred temperature of doneness or 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the steak is cooking, pour the rest of the mole sauce and the melted butter into a large, deep pan.
- Once the steak is cooked, place it into the pan with the mole/butter mixture and let rest for 5 minutes.
- While the steak is resting, quickly toast the tortillas on the grill. Make sure to lightly toast them, don’t over cook them or else they will be too hard and crispy.
- Slice up the steak into small, taco sized pieces. Cut “against the grain” or the opposite way that the muscle fibers are running. This will make the steak more tender and tasty!
- Once the steak is cut, assemble your tacos with your favorite toppings.
First, you get a nice texture from the toasted, crunchy corn tortilla. Then, you get the creaminess from the avocado (we highly recommend it) and the freshness from the cilantro and radishes. The grilled flank steak in the mole sauce gives a really deep, buttery, and meaty flavor. Absolutely delicious! If you want to see us visit Chef Kevin at Tacos, Tequila, and Whiskey – visit our website for the full Meat America episode.
Try these tacos at home and let us know how they turned out in the comments! What toppings did you use? Any recommendations?? Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel so you never miss a recipe or bite sized cooking hack so you can continue to turn up the tasty!